SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:54:17 +0100
On 19/01/13 02:26, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> With all the security problems in Java right now, does
> anyone know if HTML5 will eventually sub for Java?

Lets try to clarify some things first ...

HTML (whichever version) is basically just a markup language, which basically
means how to put a graphical layout of information in a HTML compliant viewer.

Java is a programming language where you can develop fully-fledged
applications which does whatever you want it to do.  Java applications are run
inside it's own little universe, provided by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
The JVM is provided when you install the Java Runtime Environment.  Java is
also aiming at to be platform agnostic, no matter what kind of hardware you
run on.

Then you have Java applets which are Java programs running from a browser, and
usually somehow embedded into the web page you visit.

And then there is JavaScript, which should not be mixed with Java at all.
They might look similar in many ways, but they are completely different
beasts.  JavaScript is a programming language embedded into the web browser,
to help doing HTML pages more dynamic on the client side.  JavaScript is the
core component of what's often called Web 2.0 sites (which may use AJAX and
similar approaches)

So with this background, I don't think we will ever see that HTML5 or any
later standards will replace Java at all.  HTML may take advantage of Java
Applets when the HTML + JavaScript is not powerful enough to solve your task.

> And, will HTML5 have its own list of prodigious security
> problems?

Most likely, yes.  But not because of HTML5 itself, but how the browsers have
implemented the HTML5 support.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth