SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:06:26 -0600
The other day I installed SL 3.0.2 onto a Penguin
Altus 1000E dual Opteron system.  (We used 3.0.2
only because we already have a 32 bit system using
3.0.2).

Everything went fine until I started X as root.
When I was customizing the GUI (focus follows
mouse, background, etc), one or two of the apps
that handle preferences (I'm pretty sure the theme
panel was the first one to do this) popped up a
panel saying they had crashed.  No big deal, I
was just poking around to see what was there
(other than focus follows mouse).

But now when I type "startx", the GNOME desktop
comes up, but nautilus gives me the crash popup,
and the items that should be on the desktop
aren't there.  I cleaned out all the .g* files
and directories, .metacity. .nautilus, etc. and
tried again.  Same results.

I've never seen this happen before - any ideas?
I didn't see anything on the web that looked
related, either.  If you have a link I couldn't
find, that would be great.]

Thanks,
Miles