SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2012

Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:20:31 -0600
The common thread is I/O to a MegaRAID raid5 device.  Which is cause for
concern since the primary function of both machines where I've encountered
this problem is file-serving.

Perhaps I am just unlucky and have 2 bad MegaRAID cards in a row.  I'm trying
to understand this better, figure out if I am doing something wrong.

My procedure is create a RAID 5 volume on the megaraid, do a slow init. Reboot
the system into Linux, write a single large partition with parted, then put
one or more logical volumes on the drive.

The "hung" problem has cropped up under the following situations:

(1) pvcreate on the disk

(2) mkfs.ext4 on the volumes created on the disk

(3) writes to the filesystem on the disk

It's happened on 2 fileservers each with a megaraid.