SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:50:14 -0600
Installing an nvidia card would be the easiest.  You can download the
nvidia driver and install it and it will guide you through setting the
widescreen up.  The downside of loading an nvidia driver is that you have
to reinstall it after a kernel upgrade which happens if automatic updates
are enabled.  You could exclude kernel upgrades (might be the default) but
that's probably not a good idea.

You might be able to do it without an nvidia driver.  I've found that the
nv driver which is part of the stock distribution does support these
non-standard dimensions.  They are not turned on by default but if the
server indicates they are supported, then you can turn them on manually.
You can find this out by looking at the X.org.log output when you start
the X server.  See if it is using the nv driver.  Then, look for
non-standard supported modes in the log.  It should provide a modeline for
these non-standard dimensions.  A modeline looks something like this:

Modeline "1280x960"   84.96  1280 1472 1512 1600  960 1052 1053 1062

In general, you can run a monitor at any dimension.  10 or more years ago,
when support for X11 video was still in its infancy, there was documentation
on how to tune the video to do this.  But, with improved support, this sort
of arcane know-how is slowly disappearing.  You might try TLDP if you want
to go down this road.