SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
John Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:07:08 +0000
I am trying to upgrade a three-year old athlon machine to SL4.2. What
happens is:

* I do a fairly minimal install

* I "yum upgrade"

All is fine and the machine reboots OK.

I then install my 600-odd standard collection of RPMS, virtually all of
which are from the SL CDs. Grub isn't one of these but I do change the
kernel to kernel-smp just for an easy life (I have quite a few machines
running SL4.2). Now if I reboot, grub goes through stage 1.5 then says:

GRUB loading, please wait...

That's it!

Any thoughts? I'll probably try the non-smp kernel but it doesn't really
look like a kernel problem as the kernel doesn't get loaded.

Thanks

John