SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:55:59 -0500
On Feb 10, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Jos van Wezel wrote:
> Interestingly we went to nfs over tcp to work around the problem that
> Devin reports namely the slowdown and final lockup of the nfs servers
> in relation to local IO.

We don't see much, if any, improvement doing nfs over tcp instead of
udp.

>  Once we removed the backup client from the servers it was much better
> but it still happens once in a while.
>
> Devin can you confirm that in the lockup all nfsd end up in D wait?

Yes, when the NFS I/O blocking is occurring, the nfsd processes go into
the DW state.  On the client side, the blocked process goes into the
'D' state.

Thanks,
Devin

> Devin Bougie wrote:
>> Thanks Steve and Martin,
>> On Feb 10, 2005, at 3:41 AM, Bly, MJ (Martin) wrote:
>>> Having now read through the description of the problem (which wasn't
>>> available to me when I created the problem description quoted
>>> below!), I
>>> don't think it's the same problem as reported by Devin.
>> Yes, I also agree these are separate issues.  The problem we're
>> seeing affects all nfs clients (Solaris, Tru64, linux, ...) accessing
>> nfs-exported filesystems hosted by a RH (RH9, RHEL3, FC3, ...) nfs
>> server.  We do also see this with or without LVM.
>> Devin
>>>
>>> The problem we see is absolutely fatal and there is no way out -
>>> processes do not complete and there is no I/O blocking as
>>> described...
>>>
>>> That said, I've seen LVM implicated in some NFS related fatal
>>> lockups of
>>> a different variety.
>>>
>>> Martin.

Devin Bougie
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics
Computer Group
(607) 254-8353