SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:05:59 -0700
The issue is that the application would not pass configure without
disabling these options.  I have tried the various pre-built RPMs for
vlc that have been mentioned, but all the ones that I have found have
dependencies that cause conflicts with other versions of the same
dependency (typically, some .so package).  Because the linux application
environment is not polymorphic with encapsulation, one cannot have both
versions of some such dependency installed.

I do have a version of vlc that does run but for which I do not have an
RPM; by copying that binary, its libraries, and its support directory
tree from machine to machine, we have a functional but rather old vlc.

Hence, I am looking for a set of RPMs or a set of source code
applications/libraries that will build under SL6x to allow me not to
required that these codecs be disabled.

As I supplied the list, does anyone have the information to allow me to
address the above?  Presumably, once built, I can repackage the lot as a
tar.gz file or even a non-stock RPM for EL6x .  Obviously, I could do
this for the crippled (disabled codecs) version of vlc-2.0.7 that I
currently have built.  Also presumably, once this issue is addressed for
vlc-2.0.7, it will stay addressed until vlc-3 must be built.

Yasha Karant