SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:23:11 +0100
Hi all

Not sure how the procedure at Driver Update Program worked
for others, but we sucessfully use it now on SL(C)5.2
here at CERN for few drivers

(updated e1000e, e1000, ixgbe (with ioatdma) etc)

We intend to have it also for other add-on kernel
modules (whenever possible ... some modules may
not be cross-kernel version compatible due to usage
of functions not in stable RHEL 5 kernel ABI ..)

.. of course we will still need to produce driver disks
for installations - but with the recent driver disk kit
from RH this is also easier: not only such driver disk
image contains kernel modules but also rpms and yum
repository information: as a result during install time
updated/add-on driver can be used and after install
corresponding rpms are installed on the system
(and since these are packaged according to DUP guidelines
.. there is no need to upgrade them with each and every
kernel upgrade)

Sounds like less of work with kernel upgrades, right ? ;-)

Cheers

Jarek

__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _