SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 15:58:54 -0800
My department is being forced by the university administrative IT unit
to MS Office365 distributed server ("cloud") email service, as I have
communicated in a previous query.  We are now being advised by others
who have been forced to do this -- but of course not by IT -- to backup
all of our email.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird, incoming IMAP, outgoing to
a designated SMTP server.   I have found

http://www.beyondinbox.com/beyondinbox-download.html

licensed for fee that claims to function under Linux, MacOS X, and MS
Windows for this purpose.  There are concerns to find a viable
licensed-for-free product that will copy IMAP folders and all of the
contents thereof to a local harddrive directory/file structure and that
can restore these same IMAP folders and the contents thereof back to a
remote IMAP service -- thus guarding against loss -- up to the last
backup snapshot -- of all email.

Has anyone any experience with the above application?  is there a
licensed for free reliable, viable alternative, GUI preferred, for Linux?

Yasha Karant