SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:27:51 +0000
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Mark Whidby wrote:

> Hi,
> Has anyone had any experience of SL (or Centos / RHEL) on the new
> Dell Optiplex 755 machines? Specifically does X work?

We got a 755 for testing a couple of days before I went on vacation (the
last two weeks).  In the short time I had to play with it I found that
plain 5.0 PXE installation couldn't drive the new network hardware, but
the kernel in 5.1alpha could.  I assume that the one in
5.1beta/beta2/release will also drive the network stuff but I've not had
time to check yet (still catching up on my e-mail).

We *NEVER* have any luck with onboard Intel graphics so we stick to add-in
cards.  I like the ATI X300/X600 cards which Dell used to ship but sadly
those are now hard to find.  The newer X1050/X1300 (etc) cards will work
with the VESA driver but then you get no fast 3D support...  Of course
using the ATI proprietry driver migth solve that if I could be bothered.

[ Likewise every Nvidia card I seem to be able to buy seems now too new to
get decent support from the Xorg driver.  I dislike te proprietory drivers
because updates to e.g. kernels are then less trivial... ]

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/