SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:06:15 -0600
On 11/16/2011 01:26 PM, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> Thanks, the errors seem to have gone away.
:) Happy to help.

> <snip>
>
> How large do you suggest making the random variation?

I'd say about 30 minutes of randomness should be enough swing to keep it
interesting while not being too all over the place

> We currently run the scripts at about 03:37 (GMT0BST), so I suppose
> that may correspond to a busy time elsewhere in the world - should we
> move it to a different time?

It's always busy somewhere.  I know from the mirror side we are
currently on CDT which puts us 6 hours later than UTC with 08:00-18:00
CDT being when we've got people at the lab.  However I'd say about 99.9%
of the people here have no interaction at all with our mirrors (we have
an internal one for them).  In the end our biggest (by numerics) mirrors
are in the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, and Russia.  By the time it is
night for one of these it is day for another.  And those are, of course,
the public mirrors - who knows on the private ones.

All this to say, I've no idea when a good time is, pick what feels good
and go with it.  If it isn't working a slight adjustment may be necessary.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux Developer