SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:29:30 -0500
On Sunday 27 January 2013 1:17 pm, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone running LibreOffice on a Server?
> Appreciate ideas on how to implement some of the MS office features on a
> Web Server
>
> TIA

We have been running LibreOffice3.5 for a while and recently upgraded systems
to LibreOffice3.6 to enable us to read and write more M$ formats.  See
or /etc/bashrc if you have a number of users on a server.  Off line I can
give you an idea what kind of stuff we have hooked together.

In the process of updating SL5.6 to SL 5.8 for some reason in the process KDE
3 was updated to KDE 4  on one system and not on some others.   It may be due
to what was set up on that box.   Last summer we made the decision  we didn't
care for SL 6 and decided to update our systems to SL 5.8.
Certain people think that if you complain or offer a solution to a problem you
are "OFF TOPIC" and should shut up.
My opinion is that a lot of people who run Linux are mavericks and load and
run what is best for them.  We just make up dates several times a year to the
keep noise to a minimum.   We still have an OS/2 system running in the
building to do a special job.  It was decided that we need to use it every so
often and it was not worth the cost to move applications to SL.
Since we are a commercial user - we don't care about a lot of stuff but Linux
SL fills our needs and then some.   One of its great features is that is is
reliable and well supported by the end users.
We run a small factory using SL and VMware to run M$ applications.  Other than
the small hick up we ran into over the weekend we are happy as a clam.

Off topic ::::
At some point in time the engineering community may need to make a fork in the
road to support engineering needs that is not driven by the general
entertainment establishment.
That is why we opted to start using SL 4. a few years ago.   What we run on SL
besides a factory is a couple of control simulations for a turbine engine &
its control, a simulation of a wind driven vortex (like a tornado), and a
number of tools to convert data from Time Domain to Frequency Domain for
analysis of data.   FF transform modified to run for an extended time period
and track the trend of the data that can have a Gaussian distribution.

A big help is the Numerical Recipes in C and C for engineers.   Covers a lot
of basic stuff and is very accurate.  If you buy the books and get the
optional source code for examples it saves a boat load of time.

Larry Linder