SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Tanmoy Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tanmoy Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 04:34:57 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tanmoy Chatterjee <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:02 AM
Subject: Re: ADSL/pppoe configuration
To: Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/28/2011 11:21 PM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:
>>
>> Hello friends
>> I am a novice linux user and I have just installed SL6.1 from liveCD.
>> Now I want to connect to internet and my ISP use ADSL/pppoe type of
>> connection. I use rp-pppoe to connect to the internet when in Fedora
>> 13. But the problem is that I have to download that package here first
>> which I can't do without a net connection. In RHEL 6 Deployment guide
>> I have found some work around with pppd but have not been able to
>> figure it out. Googling about it also comes with the solution of
>> RP-pppoe.
>>
>> 1) Can anybody direct me to a HOW-TO about the method ( pppd or
>> something for which I don't have to download a package) ?
>>
>> 2) Why I can't use the NM applet and the DSL tab there to configure
>> pppoe connection ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Since you could write this email I assume that you are somehow connected to
> the internet. If you know how to do it with rp-pppoe, I would simply
Yes I am connected to internet via System > Preferences > Network
Connections > DSL tab. But connecting through this way have some
problems.
> download the rp-pppoe rpm and put it on an USB stick.
3) I can do that. But after checking the RHEL Deployment guide - they
have not mentioned this method for pppoe connection - as not being a
computer student I want to know what the standard practice in this
case for distribution such as RHEL.

4) Also why the "Sys > Pref > Net Con > DSL tab" can not give a pppoe
connection like rp-pppoe does.

> for 32bit:
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/os/Packages/rp-pppoe-3.10-8.el6.i686.rpm
>
> for 64 bit:
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/x86_64/os/Packages/rp-pppoe-3.10-8.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> Insert the USB stick into the SL61 system and install rp-pppoeas root:
>
> su -
> cd "to_your_usb_stick"
> yum localinstall rp-pppoe-3.10-8.el6.i686.rpm
>
> Cheers,
Thanks for your reply.