SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:10:12 -0600
Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:08:08AM -0600, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
>>
>>>Here at CERN for SLC4 in order to avoid such unpleasent surprises
>>>we are using the yum protectbase plugin and label our repositories
>>>as 'protected': ie any newer packages not coming from our repos
>>>are excluded from yum transactions:
>>>
>>>- Maybe it would be worth including that plugin in
>>>SL (and configure it by default to enable repo protections) ?
>>
>>We include that in the SLF site too.
>>
>>What do others think?
>

> From a 3rd party's POV this is a very bad idea, as it breaks our
> repos.

First off, it currently IS in the distro

  yum install yum-protectbase

It is not installed by default
If you do install it, it does not have any particular repo setup by
default, you have to setup the config file yourself.

Why is it that way?
To be honest, it is because of the 'Install Everything' people.  People
install everything, then complain because something is broken, so I have
to make sure even if every yum plugin is installed, it doesn't really
hurt anyone.
The people who install everything also are usually the people who use
3rd party repositories like Axel's or Dag's.
If you use Axel's (or Dag's) repository, there might be something in
that repository that needs to update an existing package from plain
Scientific Linux.  If you have the protectbase plugin set to protect the
main scientific base, then you won't be able to install whatever it was
you wanted because of this dependancy.

So ... in the end.  I could be persuaded to have the package
yum-protectbase protect scientific linux base and errata areas by
default.  But I really don't think having it installed by default is the
right way to go.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468