SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:25:43 -0700
--- Marek Mahut <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello William,
>
> William Shu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have secured a network cable (rj45 heads) to link a laptop
> > directly to a desktop machine which has *no* access to a
> > network. The desktop has TWO network cards and an rj11
> socket
> > (for telephone). The heads of the network cable have been
> > rewired so that a switch or hub is *not* used. The
> technician
> > tested the cable by pinging between 2 Windows XP machines,
> but
> > knows nothing of linux and unix-based machines.
> Unfortunately,
> > when I do a ping from laptop to desktop or vice-versa, I get
> the
> > message "Destination Host Unreachable" (See sample output
> > below).
> >
> > (I know next to nothing about networks and so I hope the
> > questions below still make sense!)
> >
> > QUESTION 1: How should I go about having the desired
> > peer-to-peer connection, without trying to use an Internet
> > Service Provider, or start managing a local area network. I
> > understand linux is a "network operating system" and so
> nothing
> > special needs to be done. That is, the desired service (ftp,
> > ssh, etc) is requested and used, if it is set up on both
> > machines.
>
> If you are connected with a crossover-cable (or have a network
> card that
> support crossover simulation), you have to only setup IP
> addresses of
> the same local vlan. For example 192.168.0.1 for your desktop
> interface
> and 192.168.0.2 for your laptop. You should be able to ping
> each other
> without having a route.

Yes, this is what I think I did. Later, I will verify the
connection.

> > QUESTTION 2: How can I install a wireless router on the
> above
> > desktop,  which has a modem card, but must not be linked to
> > either the telephone or the internet!. The router (a
> TRENDnet
> > TEW432BRP) has a windowsXP and requires:
> >     * A Web browser: Internet Explorer (5.0 or above) or
> > netscape Navigator (4.7 or aove),
> >     * Computer With network adapter installed
> >     * Broadband internet
> >     * Installed cble or DSL modem (Statitc/Dynamic/PPPoE
> > connection)
>
> What should be the purpose of this wireless router? To connect
> the
> laptop using wifi to your desktop?

Yes, that is the idea. Different laptops in range should be able
to connect without hassle.

> As Connie said, please provide us with the output of following
> commands:
>
> # /sbin/route -va
> # /sbin/ifconfig -a
> #

I will supply the information Connie and others requested after
I must have tried out the suggestions of Paul.

> And also, drawing a schema of your idea of the network would
> be useful.

How you mean schema? a diagrammatic representation? a
description?