SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:43:52 -0700
A colleague with a laptop that has a PCMCIA slot needed higher
resolution  on a larger monitor than was available from the built-in
video card screen.  I suggested the VTBook PCMCIA card that uses a
Trident chip set and has a DVI connector as does the monitor my
colleague obtained.

The vendor instructions are at URL:

http://www.villagetronic.com/ftp/vtbook/Linux/LinuxReadMe.html

The VTBook card required a kernel of 2.6.22 or later, whereas EL 5.7
uses a 2.6.18 kernel (and evidently will until EOL).  ElRepo provides a
2.6.39 EL 5 kernel.  The card requires a boot command line option of
pci=cbmemsize=128M ; this works with the 2.6.39 kernel -- as far as I
can tell, the El Repo kernel (and RPM for installation of this kernel as
well as the RPM for porting drivers and applications requiring sources
for this kernel) works without issue.

Ultimately, after modifying the OS and X11 environment per the
instructions from the VTBook vendor, I observe:

     lspci -v

if you see the flag "disabled" like the following, you need to make a
further fix

     Region 0: Memory at xxxxxxxx (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=32M]

     Region 1: Memory at yyyyyyyy (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=4M]

     Region 2: Memory at zzzzzzzz (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=32M]

     setpci -s bus:slot.func COMMAND=02

where bus:slot.func must be replaced with the VTBook bus, slot and
function. You can get these values running lspci. You should get
0000:bus:slot.function as header of the VTBook entry.

End quote.

On the machine in question, I have found the appropriate values for
bus:slot.func and the [disabled] is not displayed after the appropriate
setpci command.  The vendor instructions next specify:  The setpci
command can be added to a boot script (for example you can add it at the
end of the start procedure in the /etc/init.d/pcmcia script).

I have tried adding this line to various places in /etc/X11/xinit,
/usr/bin/startx, and what seem appropriate places in various /etc/rc...
directories (using the appropriate ln -s from the script in init.d to
SXXfoobar).  Thus far, everytime X11 starts, the [disabled] output
appears from lspci -v until I manually run the init.d script that
contains appropriate setpci command (after which the [disabled] output
is gone).

QUESTION:
Where should one place the setpci command to force the use of the setpci
after each login (starting of a particular X11 session)?

I need to make this procedure fully automated for my enduser colleague.

Yasha Karant