SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:42:20 +0200
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Ken Teh wrote:

> Questions about Core 2 Duo platforms:
>
> Are there any gotchas with SL4x and Core 2 Duo platforms?

Other than the usual issues with young platforms: no, at least for x >= 3.

We have a Dell Precision 390 with a 1.86 GHz 6300 here. Even SL307 works
quite well on it. It's supposed to be RHEL4-certified, although I can't
find it on bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert. Anyway, you can order it with RHEL4
preinstalled.

And it screams...

> Are Core 2 Duo platforms 32-bit or 64-bit?  Or, are they like the Opterons
> and can do both?  Would they be installed with the i386 or the x86_64
> kernels?

They can do both. You choose which flavour you install.

> If it is 64-bit, how does it affect other software?  I'm thinking
> specifically about ROOT, Geant4, ....

Life is still a bit easier if you install 32-bit. It's faster with
64-bit *if* your applications are built 64-bit, although the effect is
more pronounced on AMD CPUs and also depends on the application. ROOT
works very well, and applications built on it usually benefit
significantly. I think the same is true for Geant4, maybe after
removing the word "very"  from the statement.

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -