SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:20:36 +0200
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Gary Wilson wrote:

> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Gary Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just set up a dual Opteron machine with SL4 x86_64. I have to run an
>>> old version of Matlab on this, which won't run with the 64 bit xorg-x11
>>> libraries. The folks at Matlab suggested that there are 32-bit
>>> compatibility libraries for Red Hat ES 4 that will fix this problem, but I
>>> can't find this in SL 4. Anyone know where these compatility libraries can
>>> be found?
>>

>> x86_64/SL/RPMS/xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-23.EL.i386.rpm & co.?
>>
>> Try "yum install xorg-x11-libs.i386" etc.
>>
>>> Gary Wilson
>>>

> Thanks. I had those installed, so I thought that maybe there was something
> else that I was missing. What I do see is that when I look at the ldconfig
> cache the 64 bit library appears first, so I'm guessing that it sees that and
> stops there. Now I'm looking to see if there is a way to reverse the order in
> which the libraries are found.

The dynamic loader won't consider using 64-bit libraries for 32-bit
executables. Are you sure it's missing shared libs? Please try running ldd
on your executable as Connie suggested (this may not be trivial as these
commercial executables tend to be hidden under layers and layers of
wrapper scripts...).

Once you're sure it's not due to some missing shared libs, you may want to
try running it after an "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19" (or even 2.4.1).
I think Matlab <=6 comes with an elderly JVM that's not NPTL-compatible.

Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |