SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2016

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2016 11:59:56 +0100
On 04/11/16 11:13, Todd Chester wrote:
> On 11/03/2016 04:38 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> Or, you could try what I do for backports. Install "mock", add
>> yourself to the "mock" group, and run:
>>
>>           mock -r epel-7-x86_64 krusader-2.5.0-1.fc26.src.rpm
>>
>> Then install RPMs from /var/lib/mock/ or /var/cache/mock/
>
> What is "mock"?

That is the a build tool which does all the RPM builds inside a fresh,
autocreated chroot to ensure you get a clean build.  If the spec file is
lacking needed dependencies, the build will fail.  Which again helps
preventing creating an RPM package including dependencies which just
happened to be installed.

Mock is what is used under the hood of Koji when Fedora packages are
built (including Fedora EPEL) and the RHEL packages.

Mock also allows you to build RPMs for multiple distributions/versions
on the same host.  The chroot will contain the proper version of
libraries, compilers and linkers so it will match the environment the
RPM is targeted at.

I highly encourage everyone using rpmbuild to use mock instead.  When a
mock built package have completed, it will have a far higher success
factor on all hosts it will be installed on.  Plus, it is built in a
much "cleaner" and pristine environment.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth