SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:16:37 +0100
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:

> So I haven't yet tried installing the non-rpm binary, that's probably
> next on the list.  But, I found that running 'java -jar myapp.jar',
> and I changed the symlink in /etc/alternatives/java to point to
> /usr/java/default/bin/java.  Now, running 'java -version' from the
> command line tells me I have "1.6.0_01".
>
> Now I missed this before, but when I go to the java.com test page to
> see if I have it installed in Firefox, it creates a little text file
> in my home directory called 'plugin_stack.trace'.
>
> $ cat plugin_stack.trace
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
> com.sun.deploy.config.Config
>        at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.initEnvironment(AppletViewer.java:271)
>        at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.doit(Plugin.java:141)
>        at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Plugin.java:104)
>
> I did a google search for "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not
> initialize class com.sun.deploy.config.Config" and found this page:
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6542512
>
> Basically, it says RHEL5 is not supported because of a conflict in
> some c++ dynamic library.  So, to everyone who responded, what version
> of SL do you run?  I've tried this on SL5 and Fedora7 with the same
> results.  I'm not married to them, though.

I can confirm that using the non-rpm installed version of 1.6.0_01 seems
to work fine for me with firefox 1.5.0.12 in SL5 on the i386 platform.

At least if I point firefox at:

   http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

it reports the right stuff (I'd cut/paste it but the applet it runs
doesn't let me).

  -- Jon