SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:43:08 -0400
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Kevin K <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It isn’t so much the USB.  USB as a design is a master/slave relationship.  So you cannot connect 2 normal computers together with an USB cable.  It doesn’t matter what you are wanting to do with it.

Use two USB ethernet ports. They're cheap, most of them work quite
well with Linux, they're handy for other uses, and easily configured
for little private, non-routable VLAN. Since most modern such ports
are GigE compatible, the connections are hermaphroditic, and you won't
even need a crossover cable. And the USB ethernet ports are invaluable
when confronted with broken wireless environments. I always keep one
in my "emergency computer widgets" bin.