SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2008

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:28:30 +0100
Mark Stodola wrote:
> It can be found here:
>
> http://dup.et.redhat.com/
>
> The documentation for ddiskit is rather sparse.

Indeed, but fortunately the whole thing is not that complicated ;-)

 > I've yet to try the depmod.conf overriding to
> handle kernel updates when replacing a stock driver.

It does work, that's how we ship our replacement e1000(e) and other
drivers (just a file in /etc/depmod.d/, containing, for e1000 this:
override e1000 * weak-updates/e1000)

> I'm still looking
> for a way to roll either the update disk itself or what it generates
> into the install media so it is hidden from the user altogether.

While looking at DUP and digging in anaconda loader
sources I've "discovered" something which does not
seem to be documented at all , but which may be useful
for you...:

If you make a driver disk with ddiskit and store it
at the root of install initrd.img as dd.img
it will be auto-loaded and used by anaconda without
any further action needed (ie no dd=.. specifying on
command line): quite useful especially for network
drivers with PXE installs ...

Note: there is one rule to be respected for the above:
Even if such driver disk will contain drivers made
according to DUP - so kernel-version independent -
it MUST be built against the right install kernel
version ! (otherwise anaconda will silently skip it ...)

Cheers

Jarek

__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _