SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:29:21 +0000
On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 12:04:47PM +0100, Marc Gasser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know, where to get firefox 8 RPMS for SL5 and SL6 from?
>
> regards,
>
> Marc

http://pkgs.org/ is a handy website when you want to know whether a
particular piece of software has been packaged up for your Linux
distribution.  Search for Firefox and you'll find two options for SL6,
Les RPM de Remi and PUIAS Unsupported.  Click on either link and
scroll down for installation instructions.  Sadly pkgs.org has nothing
newer than firefox 3.6.24 for SL5.

Some minor tweaks may be required e.g. after installing the
remi-release rpm I had to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/remi.repo.  The
reference to $releasever needs to be changed to "6", and if you have
yum-plugin-priorities installed you may need to add a "priority" line.

Firefox 8 from Les RPM de Remi works for me with just the minor issue
that I couldn't find a way to change the system-wide default homepage.
Eva.