SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 02:27:59 -0500

The 64 bit version I installed an hour or so ago from the Adobe yum repo is:
flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.x86_64

Dag Wieers wrote:
| On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, Yasha Karant wrote:

|>> the
|>> is a
|>> installs a
|>>
|>>  Do you have proof that this is a security fix. Because I track the RHEL
|>>  packages and no such update has come through their channels. It
|>> seems as
|>>  if the release was simply their official Flash Player 11 release,
|>> rather
|>>  than a security fix.
|>>
|>>  If it is a security fix, even Red Hat is behind. Somehow I don't
|>> believe
|>>  that, but for you to provide proof of what you state. Thanks.
|>
|> I use the direct Mozilla (and OpenOffice) distributions and updates.
|> For Firefox 7.x (that the Firefox update on Help --> About Firefox
|> reports as up to date), I ran an update check on the addons, including
|> plugins using Tools --> Add ons and URL
|> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/  and the following was
|> displayed:
|>
|> Vulnerable plugins:
|> Plugin Icon
|> Shockwave Flash
|> Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1 Vulnerable (more info)
|>
|> (11.0.1.129 is what actually is installed)
|
| Again, without any information it is hard to determine whether the
| plugincheck is mainly checking the version against the latest (known)
| available, or whether it actually knows about vulnerabilities.
|
| I bet the first option is what is implemented (because the second adds
| complexity without any real gain). Their aim is to have people running
| the latest.
|
| ALso, if we look at TUV, they still offer
| flash-plugin-10.3.183.10-1.el6, which is most likely not vulnerable (and
| which was the version offered by Repoforge until this morning too). In
| other words, we are now disconnected from the RHSA information.
|
| If you noticed a flash-plugin update from Adobe, feel free to let us
| know so we can update our flash-plugin package too.
|
| Thanks in advance,

- --
Robert E. Blair, Room C221, Building 360
Argonne National Laboratory (High Energy Physics Division)
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: (630)-252-7545  FAX: (630)-252-5782
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.hep.anl.gov/reb/key.asc