SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 20:20:40 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:36:22PM +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> > Michael Mansour wrote:
> > > Just as a note. I'm currently testing the ATrpms repository
> > > together with SL4.  Axel Thimms (the ATrpms owner) is almost
> > > ready with fully supporting RHEL3/4.

> > > The "4.0" is the problem. Axel supports what RHEL4 outputs, a
> > > straight "4":
> > >
> > > http://apt.atrpms.net/rhel/4/en/i386/at-stable
> > >
> > > I realise it's just a matter for replacing "$releasever" with
> > > "4.0", and also realise why SL 4.0 is there (for 4.0.1 as update
> > > 1, 4.0.2 as update 2, etc).  But just thought I should mention
> > > it on the list in case other SL users face the issue when he
> > > officially announces support for RHEL.

Perhaps I should setup symlinks 4.0, 4.0.1, etc. pointing to 4? OTOH
hardwiring the 4 in the config file isn't as bad with an 18 months
release cycle.

> > I also didn't know that Axel was going to be doing compiles for
> > RHEL based releases.  That is good to know as well.

> Yeah, I normally use alot of his RPMs on my server builds so was happy to
> hear a couple of months ago he had intentions to support el3/4.
>
> Although he has them on-line, they have version numbers of el2.9999 and
> el3.9999 so hasn't announced it officially yet. He's in the very final
> stages now of making the packages el3 and el4, before officially announcing
> ATrpms support of the rhel3/4 releases.

The missing bits are

o proper (public) mirroring of SL (need to upgrade the server's hard
  disk capacities, hopefully next week).

o rebuilding packages against RHEL & updates (e.g. against the latest
  updated kernels).

I'd welcome any testing/bug reports etc. I'm already on a couple of SL
lists and you can also use bugzilla.atrpms.net for bug reports/package
requests etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net