SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 21:41:17 -0600
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:05 PM, ~Stack~ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On 02/27/2015 12:18 AM, Francesco M. Taurino wrote:
>>> Install x2go server, icewm or openbox and a simple xterminal. With this
>>> "stack"   your gui apps will be usable even on slow networks.
>>
>> Wow! Thanks for that! I haven't heard of x2go before. Reading their
>> site, I am quite excited to give it a try.
>>
>> I used to be a big fan of NX Machine 3, but within the last couple of
>> years it has gotten /crazy/ flaky on newer distros (it still works well
>> with EL6 and Debian 6 Squeeze, but anything newer seems to be a
>> problem). NX3 also /really/ doesn't like any desktops other than Gnome
>> and KDE.
[snip]

> It likes twm just fine. And it also likes vtwm
> (https://github.com/nkadel/vtwm-5.5.x-srpm)

Yeah, I _just_ found their compatible Desktops page (I have been reading
some of their other wiki pages for a while).

http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat

The short of it is that many DE's are supported without problem and
several of the DE's may require a bit of tweaking to get working, but at
least they are trying to support them! :-)

That and my fav DE right now (LXDE) is supported! [Too bad I can never
get the libraries to compile right under SL6...it would probably
guarantee I would run SL6 until 2020-09-30! :-D ]

This x2go is really good news for me. I have a few use cases I want to
test it out on. Especially that one project; I am kinda excited to rip
out NX Machine 4 and replace it with x2go. I will have to run it through
my dev environment first and make sure that the clients work well so it
will probably be a few months, but getting rid of that PITA would make
my life a lot easier. :-)