SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 18:14:38 -0500
My GUI freezes, along with the keyboard and mouse, rescue always has been
via reset button. I am uncertain direction to take to sort this out.

At least once when this occured, I could remotely access the box. Also
during this same event, a CPU/memory hungry program I had begun on a
virtual console completed successfully with complete and correct looking
output. This seems important and suggest (to me) a problem with Desktop
management (gnome-session).

On the other hand, log files for today (2/3/15) report 52 CPU stalls
("self-detected stall...") in about 8 hours. Web discussions suggests this
is related to kernel handling of the tsc register. Web discussion (and the
tsc kernel route comments) also suggests that problems are solved (or at
least managed).

Thanks,
Mark Hansel