SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 06:32:31 +1100
On 16/02/2015 5:19 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> [...]

You're not removing anything. Its a binary daemon replacing a shell
script. And because it has its fingers in everything about your system,
it opens up amazing problems the minute you get a buffer overflow bug.

>> In the end, it doesn't do anything more functional than the old init
>> system did - just now that instead of throwing stuff in /etc/init.d, you
>> now have to write another file to then call the init script.
>>
>> Web interfaces and other junk aside, systemd doesn't seem to do much in
>> the way of improvement - in fact, most features of priorities and
>> parallel start exist in sysvinit - but were never implemented properly
>> by distributions... So instead, we reinvent the wheel again...
>
> It does a whole lot more that the old init system did, which an internet
> search and a few minutes of reading would have made abundantly clear.
> Just a couple points:

Oh I know - I don't know exactly if its a good thing or not.

> - It monitors the processes that is starts and can restart them if they
> die.

This is not always good. I can think of many reasons why you don't want
to automatically restart processes. There are some good as well, but not
as many imho.

> - It can configure the environment of the processes it starts in a
> number of ways: cgroups, namespaces, etc.

and none of this can be done via shell scripts?

> - It can log the output in the journal that would have otherwise been lost.

Which is a binary logfile that most people ignore and end up with syslog
anyway. There is a reason syslog is found just about everywhere.

> Please people, let's do some research before just putting out our first
> impressions as facts.

I'd hardly say its first impressions. Not being impressed at all isn't a
good feature - and 'but but but you don't know it!' is like that saying
"He's a good bloke when you get to know him"... What that really means
is that he's an asshole until you learn to put up with it - and that's
what we're really dealing with here ;)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]