SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:36:21 -0700
On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 08:53:10AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> My immediate problem is my preferred browser is Mozilla - er -
> Seamonkey. I couldn't find it with yum, nor with Google, nor can I see
> that anyone's asked about it for SL5.

Here's the kinda-sad story, from an up-to-a-week-ago Seamonkey
( -er- Mozilla ) user.  The Seamonkey RPMs (from elsewhere) tend to
step on top of the Firefox RPMs.  I'm sure someone smarter than I
could resolve the dependency conflicts.  But you need to run Firefox
1.5.x from the SL5 distro, because it comes packaged with gecko-libs,
which some of the other packages depend on.  If you don't use the
canonical packages, the automated updates get scrambled.

This "wise" choice was apparently made by the Upstream Vendor.
So for now, we are kinda stuck with Firefox 1.5.x as our browser.

The story is only kinda sad because Firefox isn't too bad, and it
installs plugins ( -er- extensions ) very nicely compared to the
hassles of Mozilla -er- Seamonkey.  I am growing to like it better.
I still need to remember how to make it pop up a text window running
"mutt" when it is given a "mailto", but I will configure that Real
Soon Now (after installing w3m, and finishing configuring osiris,
and installing some CAD packages, etc, etc.).

SL5 is different.  But after a few package updates, and some getting
used to, I think I will like it better.  Network Manager is awesome,
for example.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993