SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Renato Borges <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renato Borges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:50:49 -0300
Hello Dan!

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Dan McMahill<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install the x86_64 version 4.7 release of scientific linux on
> a Dell Precision 490 from the install CD's.  I used the same set of CD's to
> install to a dual opteron box a few days ago and it all went smoothly.  On
> the Dell however, the install hangs either while decompressing the kernel or
> right when it tries to run the decompressed kernel.  i.e. I see the boot
> loader stuff and the "......." when it says its loading vmlinuz but I never
> see even the first kernel message.

I'm not sure which is the default verbosity of the x86_64 4.7 kernel,
but maybe if you pass the loglevel=7 boot option, some information may
appear.

To do that you must edit the boot line, and for that the onscreen grub
messages should help.

If you do get some more info, please post, so we can help you further.

> The machine is currently running a very old RHEL and I needed a more modern
> system.
>
> This system has two dual core xeon 5130 processors and 4 GB of RAM.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I see that SL 4.8 has just been released
> but I guess I'd like to get 4.7 on the system to keep it the same as the
> other box here and keep it the same as what a number of other users I work
> with have.
>
> I'm a long time unix-like OS user but have relatively little linux-specific
> background.
>
> Thanks
> -Dan

C ya!