SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:12:59 -0400
As meo suggested, this is the shell.  *csh exhibits this behavior (STILL!).
bash doesn't.  csh needs to be recompiled with large file support.  E.g. use
all the macros that redhat uses for default RPM compiles, such as:

        CFLAGS="-O2 -g -march=i686 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE"

Of course only the file_offset_bits matters here, but that's the line I get
for default RPM compiles.  Personally, I don't use *csh, so I don't care.
But someone might want to create an SL_ rpm to replace tcsh :)

I seem to recall that children of tcsh were also affected.  To download a
large file, try changing your login shell to bash, logout and back in, then
run wget.

Dan W.

--
-- Daniel Widyono                      http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~widyono
-- Liniac Project,     CIS Dept.,    SEAS,    University of Pennsylvania