SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:45:25 -0600
Greetings,

On 02/26/2015 07:01 PM, Jim McCarthy wrote:
> For very minimal yet classic X11 functionality, I would recommend that
> you investigate installing "mwm" (the Motif window manager).   Other
> alternative are "twm" (Tom's window manager ?), and closer-to-gnome but
> much more minimal (in terms of footprint size on the system) is "icewm"
> (ICE window manager) that it appears you've already attempted using.

I couldn't get mwm or icewm to give me borders. However, twm did! So
thank you very much for that.

The user, however, thought that it looked ugly. I ended up installing
just gnome-panel and 20 of its dependencies. It isn't a full Gnome
install and when the vnc session isn't active the box doesn't have much
else going on. I was worried there would be a bunch of background stuff,
and there might be with a full gnome install, but just gnome-panels it
is still pretty light.

Thanks for the help!

Chris Stackpole