SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:05:41 +1000
Hi Troy,

> > kickstart.

> >> Just to double check.
> >> This is the bootup screen during the install?
> >> And you started the install using pxeboot?
> >> Or is this after the install during the startup?
> >
> > Note also Troy that if I kickstart into SL43, then yum upgrade etc to SL
4.4,
> > all works fine. It's only trying to kickstart directly into SL 4.4 where
the
> > netboot config copies the vmlinuz files into
> > /tftpboot/linux-install/<name_assigned> directory.
> >
> > That vmlinuz is broken I think.
> >
> > Michael.
>
> Hi Michael,
> I've just tried the pxeboot for both i386 and x86_64, and it worked.
>
> It's possible that it's trying to use a driver that might not work
> correctly.  I don't have the serverworks chipset on the machine I'm
testing.

> Does it just hang at this spot, or reboot, or through a kernel error
> of some type?

It hangs at this spot and requires a cold boot. Very early stage of the
kickstart, as it's just finished the pxeboot and kicked off the vmlinuz
kernel to start anaconda.

I have just purchased two new HP Proliant DL380 G4's, and have had no
trouble kickstarting SL44 (64bit) onto those machines. Using exactly the
same kickstart scripts, except the 32bit versions, fails for the DL360 G1's.

Those particular DL360's are also single cpu systems (where I have to add
the noapic kernel boot parameter with the latest kernels even on SL42/43 - I
emailed about this one in the list a month or so ago). The Dual CPU DL360's
don't need the noapic parameter.

I have not tried the dual cpu DL360's on the SL44 32bit kickstart (and doubt
I can because they are currently sitting in production).

I know the DL360 G1's are old, but for what they do (redundant firewalls and
test machines) they are perfect and there's no reason to spend money on
newer, faster or better gear, which will just do the same thing.

I find it a little disheartening that on each kernel "upgrade" the older
gear gets less and less "supported". It's like code that's changed in the
kernel deliberately causes problems for older machines (I know in reality
that's not the case), but it certainly seems that way.

Michael.