SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:44:33 -0500
Chris Stevens wrote on 3/23/2007 6:29 PM:
> Another thought...
>
>> I need to add the Intel RAID driver at install
>> time and Anaconda is only giving me the choice of sda (I'm assuming
>> that's the hard disk) or hdb (is that the CDROM drive?) at the "Driver
>> Disk Source" page.
>
> Did you try the /dev/sda option with the floppy in the drive?  If the
> floppy is USB and being treated as SCSI, then /dev/sda might be the
> floppy.  I'm thinking that /dev/sda probably isn't the hard drive.  If
> the installer could see the internal hard disk(s) and assign it
> to /dev/sda then you wouldn't need a driver in the first place.
>
> Chris

Bingo! Chris wins the prize!  It *is* sda for the floppy.

However, the driver I'm trying to load is for the embedded RAID
controller and not for the hard disk - the installer sees the disk
just fine without any additional driver, which is why I was thrown
off by the sda choice - assuming that it was the hard drive.

Thanks to all who responded!
- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group