SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Doug Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:38:08 -0600
Greetings,

You can install the kernel source with yum. On SL5, the packages are
labeled as:

hendrix> rpm -q -a | grep kernel | grep devel
kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5

I imagine it is similar on SL6, so you would do something like:

	yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`

	Good luck,
	doug

> Deal All,
>
> I apologize to all of you who find this question trivial. I am
> completely new to Linux and to Scientific Linux in particular albeit
> Unix (OpenBSD and Solaris) user of over 20 years.
>
> I have been entrusted with the installation and configuration of NVidia
> Tesla c1060 on our university test rig running i386_64 Scientific Linux
> 5.5.
>
> After a bit of pocking around I managed to kill X server, install gcc as
> directed by NVidia driver installation script. However, due to the lack
> of pre-compiled kernel interfaces on NVidia ftp server I am forced by
> installer to compile a kernel interface. This is where my troubles
> begin. I have no source code for the kernel. I used yum to install
> kernel-devel.rpm and all other rpms (since I didn't find kernel-src.rpm)
> which contain kernel in the name. Never the less script still complains
> about the lack of the kernel source code. Could you please tell me where
> can I get kernel source and where is supposed to be placed on Linux?
>
> I would welcome any other tip or howto or pointer to documentation since
> I really want to do science instead of playing with system
> administration.
>
> Thank you,
> Predrg Punosevac
>
> P.S. Is there TeXLive rmp for Scientific Linux? I saw teTeX which is
> probably enough for this machine but if TeXLive is available why not.

   Doug Johnson                    email: [log in to unmask]
   B390, Duane Physics             (303)-492-4506 Office
   Boulder, CO 80309               (303)-492-5119 FAX
                                   http://www.aaccchildren.org
 You cannot see. You think I cannot see?
 Of all things, to live in darkness must be worst.
 Fear is the only darkness.