SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 00:07:20 -0400
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Ahmed El Zein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am looking at the logs and the only network related log that coincides
> with the resolv.conf file changing is:
> <29> Arp 6 06:40:49 NetworkManager[542]:    ifcfg-rh:
> updating /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> at that point /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 changes and gets
> an NM_CONTROLLED="yes" added to it and the /etc/resolv.conf file is
> replaced with the single lined one.

NetworkManager, frankly, has no use on a typical server. Its dynamic
manipulations of network configuration are unpredictable, unintuitive,
and far more suited to a laptop or traveling desktop in an environment
where upstream DHCP is reliably configured. It is a complex and
powerful tool that *STILL* has no way to configure pair-bonding,
'bridged' connections for KVM supporting hosts, or DHCP client
configuration with client identifiers except to use a text editor and
turn off NetworkManager by one means or another. It's one of the
upstream vendors least useful development efforts.

Unfortunately, we're now pretty much stuck with it, due to all the
recent system dependencies on it. Ripping it out by the roots became
infeasible with Scientific :Linux 6. Fortunately, pre-configuring
'NM_CONTROLLED=no' is a new capability, and doing so early in the
kickstart '%post' scripts seems to be very helpful in preventing such
issues. In syntax:

      grep -q ^NM_CONTROLLED= [filename] || \
           echo 'NM_CONTROLLED=no' >> [filename]
      sed -i 's/NM_CONTROLLED=.*/NM_CONTROLLED=no/g' [filename]

Deducing the files to do this to is a bit more awkward, since you
don't want to touch '.bak' files or '~' files, but there are functions
to do that already available in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
utiliti4es. Do you need help with that?