SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:11:58 -0600
Stefano Stalio wrote:
> I was trying to instal SL308 on a TYAN server mounting a TYAN S5372
> motherboard. The two gigabit NICs are intel 92563EB.
> I can install the OS via http. The system starts and loads the e1000 modu
> le.
>
> dmesg tells me that eth0 is up
>
> e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
>
> or, accprding to the switch i connect it to
>
> e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
>
> but the network does not work. Everything works when i connect the cable
> to eth2 (the fast ethernet interface).
>
> I tried downloading the driver from the intel site, compiling and install
> ing
> it but insmod says:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-47.0.1.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o:
> unresolved symbol pci_set_consistent_dma_mask
>
> Does anybody have an answer?

dmesg doesn't really tell you if the network is up or not.  And with
some drivers, it just says "Hey I'm up and ready" when really it isn't.

The two tools I usually use are ifconfig and ethtool

You said you moved the cable from one port to the other, but you didn't
say anything about reconfiguring the network so that the IP address
moved from one port to the other.

If this is true, that you only moved the cable from one to the other and
then it worked, then you really only have the one network interface
configured, the one you think is eth2.

Anyway, the first steps are to see which network interface is actually
up.  Do that by doing

   /sbin/ifconfig

That will list all the network interfaces that are up.
Then look and see what they are and their speed.

   /sbin/ethtool eth0

Hopefully that will help track things down.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468