SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:48:17 -0600
C. Ray Ng wrote:
> Jon Peatfield wrote:
>
>> Perhaps /usr/lib/sa/sa1 is failing for you, or there is some other
>>

>> problem.
>

> Well, we reinstalled the original rpm, vixie-cron-3.0.1-75.1, then
> everything
> is back to normal, sa1 and run-parts work just like before. So I can't
> really say it is something else.
>
> ray

Hi Ray,
I think I have found the problem.
The new vixie-cron is "pam aware", meaning that it now uses pam to
determine whether a cron job should be ran or not.
Now this is a feature change, and I think RedHat should have their
little fingers slapped.  In reading through the bugzilla's, they at
least had the decency to change it so it doesn't fill up your
/var/log/messages file.

Anyway, because of that, I believe you have to look at your
   /etc/pam.d/system-auth
file and see if there is anything in there that is going to keep your
cronjob from being run.
Here at Fermilab we had a machine (and I'm sure we'll find more) where
it was checking to see if the processes kerberos principle matched the
user in the .k5login.  Now the normal cronjob's aren't written to get
kerberos principles, so they were failling.

Can you send the output of
   cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
and we'll see if there is something in there that would cause the
cronjob's to fail.

Troy
p.s. Sorry for not jumping in on the discussion earlier, but I was
totally stumped for a while.
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468