SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
"James M. Pulver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M. Pulver
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:54:22 +0000

Quote:

Let me offer a suggestion that may help for production environments.

Use something like "rsnapshot" to make locked copies of an rsync mirror of Scientific Linux, and ensure that your local yum setup is aimed at a locked down version of the local repo whose contents have been evaluated. It takes thought and a configuraiton management tools like cfengine or puppet or chef, but it can be done.

Is this sort of thing where Katello is trying to make more dynamic or maybe more flexible? We're using Puppet and finding that specifying versions of software in manifests works, but is less than ideal. Yes, we could parameterize them, but I think a smarter repo structure like Katello seems to be for would be more ideal and elegant...

--

James Pulver

CLASSE Computer Group

Cornell University