SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:45:45 -0800

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:31:45AM -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> You might want to take a look at this CentOS wiki:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
>
> In the section "Solution", look for (3) that offers the kmod package
> for this driver.  A little more detail will be found in this CentOS
> forum thread:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17854&forum=39&post_id=64799#forumpost64799

Thanks, Yagi-san!

Indeed, I saw that first wiki page, and chose a streamlined version
of solution (2) rather than solution (3), as (2) seemed more likely
to tolerate kernel updates.  Besides, the RPMforge repo looks like
it is where all the Cool Kids (Dag, Dries, etc.) are hanging out,
and the setup is very easy at  https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using

So thanks for reading that first page into the record.  I suggest
everyone with RealTek ethernet driver issues read it, as it explains
them pretty well.  (3) is a useful solution too, and the forum post
you suggest covers a lot of the issues involved.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993