SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:56:58 +0000
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Troy Dawson wrote:

> This is out of the release notes for Update 4, although it applies to
> all realease, not just update 4.  I'm not sure if it will solve the
> problem, but it sure sounds like what is happening.
>
>     o We strongly recommends that you disable USB legacy support in
>       your BIOS.

Thanks for your reply!

The closest thing I can find in the thinkpads' BIOS is

Config > USB > USB BIOS Support

However, the documented purpose of this is to allow booting from
USB-connected diskettes or CD-ROM.

By default it is "Enabled", so I gave it a try with the setting to
"Disabled".  However, I have to report that disabling this option made
no difference to the behaviour in SL: insertion of the card still
caused SL to go unresponsive.  On withdrawal of the card, the same
message appeared on the syslog as before:

kernel; cs: socket xxxxxxxx timed out during reset.  Try increasing
setup_delay.

(for some value of xxxxxxxx, such as de6b1000).

This behaviour was observed both on an IBM R40e/Celeron and on
an IBM R50e/Pentium M.

[However, an older thinkpad X22 behaved differently.  There, SL was
not upset by insertion of the card, and the "Hardware browser"
correctly reported a USB/2.0 controller.]

all the best