SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:53:54 -0500
Robert Haines wrote:
> Erik Williamson wrote:
>
>>> I have 2 SL4 servers, when 4.1 is released, what's the best way to
>>> upgrade
>>> them to 4.1?
>>

>> Doing a 'yum update' will effectively give you a 4.1 system.  You can
>> think of 4.(n+1) as being 4.n with all the errata up to that point
>> included.  Usually a point release will have an updated installer &
>> installation kernel, but since your machines are already running this
>> is irrelevant.
>

> Thanks for all your answers. If I have this right, my SL4.0 machine is
> somewhere between a 4.0 and 4.1 release (and when 4.1 is released it'll
> just be a snapshot of 4.0 plus updates and errata's)? Is that right?
>
> So my other SL3.03 box is effectively somewhere between the 3.04 and
> 3.05 releases?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Hi Rob,
Actually the answer to that is no.  Sorry.
What Eric wrote is only true if you have installed 40rolling, or
30rolling, or if you have changed your yum configuration to point to 4x,
or 30x.

If you are on a regular 304, you will stay on 304 unless you manually
change it.  The same goes for 40.

The documentation for changing to a new release is at
https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade
which needs to get updated to include instructions for 4, but the steps
are essentially

    1.   rpm -Uvh
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/30x/i386/misc/RPMS/yum-conf-30x.SL.noarch.rpm
    2. yum update yum
    3. yum upgrade

If you are brave.  The detailed, easy does it steps, are on the web page.

The steps should be the same for 4.0 except replace 30x with 4x.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468