SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:37:16 -0500
Hello all,

I have continued working on these problems this week and I have made
decent progress. I really appreciate the feedback I got as it helped
point me to the right answers. I found answers for many of my questions
but I still am looking for answers on a few. I will re-ask one question
since it is in the theme of the thread, but the others I will post in a
new email as they are significantly different (trying to keep one topic
per thread).

The problem I am still working on is that my FQDN does not seem to be
working properly and I am not sure why. I still have not found an
answer. As a refresher (so you don't have to dig through past emails):

From host PXE1 `ping dev1` returns:
64 bytes from dev1.project.local (10.1.2.3)....
From host PXE1 `ping dev1.project.local` returns:
ping unknown host dev1.project.local

So the host lookup is working and it resolved the FQDN but using a FQDN
to ping does not work.

For those that care to hear my solutions I have found to my questions:

A1) Do I need to create a dhcp-host entry for every hard set host on the
10.1.1.x network?
As Alec said in the thread, yes. At least all the answers I have found
so far say so and all the attempts I had done for the DNS to auto update
from clients has failed. Creating a manual entry for them just works and
is easy enough to manage .

A2) When I set the tag for the pxeboot group, it was not honored by the
DHCP. Why?
There are two parts to setting a tag. One in the dhcp-range that matches
a tag like this:
dhcp-range=net:pxeboot,10.1.3.1,10.1.3.255,255.255.0.0,12h

The second is in the dhcp-host that sets the tag like this:
dhcp-host=08:00:27:63:C7:B9,net:pxeboot,PXE1

Also, one thing that messed with me is if you split the config up in the
/etc/dnsmasq.d folder, you have to enable it. It does not appear to be
enabled by default in /etc/dnsmasq.conf.
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d

A3) PXE booting.
I had not attempted this when I first asked. However, once I got the
proper DHCP range set for the PXE boot, it was rather easy to do.

enable-tftp
tftp-root=/tftpboot
tftp-secure
dhcp-boot=net:pxeboot,pxelinux.0

I had to set permissions for the user account (user permissions and
SELinux permissions) and after that it was fairly standard PXE
environment. (If someone wants more details, send me an email and I will
post the full configuration).

That is all the updates for this thread that I have for now. I really do
need to find an answer to the FQDN. If anyone has any ideas, please let
me know.

Thanks!

~Stack~