SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:53:25 -0800
On 12/22/2014 10:35 AM, Chris Schanzle wrote:
> On 12/22/2014 12:51 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> We have end users that we support on machines currently running IA-32
>> SL6x who need Adobe Flash capability in a Mozilla Firefox browser.
>>
>> From Adobe (presumably under the influence/control of the Microsoft
>> monopoly):
>>
>> *NOTE*: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target
>> Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security
>> backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
>>
>> Is there a replacement for the Adobe Flash Player?  Is there a
>> version/replacement that properly works with x86-64 SL7 using a 64 bit
>> Firefox?
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>
> What's the problem here?  Flash is available for 32 and 64-bit browsers,
> use their yum repo.  Just because the version is older than others,
> doesn't mean it is insecure or won't do the job.

Hi Chris,

     Firefox flags the out-of-date Flash plugin as a security hazard.

-T

Hi Yasha,

     I do not know if this will help at all, but I install
the "You Tube All HTLM5" extension on all my customer's machines to
get them off of Flash as much as possible:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-all-html5

    It is also faster at rendering than Flash is.  Well at least
it corrects a lot of lag problems on You Tube (problem
may be You Tube, not Flash).

    Also, because iOS (iPhone, iPad, etc.) does not support Flash,
it seriously behooves your clients to switch to HTML5 (I do recommend
this to my clients).

-T