SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Predrag Punosevac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Predrag Punosevac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:25:35 -0400
Deal All,

I apologize to all of you who find this question trivial. I am
completely new to Linux and to Scientific Linux in particular albeit
Unix (OpenBSD and Solaris) user of over 20 years.

I have been entrusted with the installation and configuration of NVidia
Tesla c1060 on our university test rig running i386_64 Scientific Linux
5.5.

After a bit of pocking around I managed to kill X server, install gcc as
directed by NVidia driver installation script. However, due to the lack
of pre-compiled kernel interfaces on NVidia ftp server I am forced by
installer to compile a kernel interface. This is where my troubles
begin. I have no source code for the kernel. I used yum to install
kernel-devel.rpm and all other rpms (since I didn't find kernel-src.rpm)
which contain kernel in the name. Never the less script still complains
about the lack of the kernel source code. Could you please tell me where
can I get kernel source and where is supposed to be placed on Linux?

I would welcome any other tip or howto or pointer to documentation since
I really want to do science instead of playing with system
administration.

Thank you,
Predrg Punosevac

P.S. Is there TeXLive rmp for Scientific Linux? I saw teTeX which is
probably enough for this machine but if TeXLive is available why not.