SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
"Brent L. Bates" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent L. Bates
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:13:43 -0400
     I've got SL3.0.2 to recognize my 2 controllers, so I can see all my
drives, but I'm having some problems doing the mirroring and striping
together.
     I boot up SL3.0.2 and it shows me all my controllers and drives now.  I
create 3 partitions on each drive:

	/dev/hd[abcd]1	/boot		(256MB)
	/dev/hd[abcd]2	swap		(512MB)
	/dev/hd[abcd]3	Software Raid	(Rest of space)

     I mirror/RAID 1 all the /boot partitions.  I now have the following
partitions left that I've labeled Software RAID.

	/dev/hda3	(Controller 1)
	/dev/hdb3	(Controller 1)
	/dev/hdc3	(Controller 2)
	/dev/hdd3	(Controller 2)

     I want to create md1 as a mirror/RAID 1 with:

	/dev/hda3
	/dev/hdc3

     and md2 as a mirror/RAID 1 with:

	/dev/hdb3
	/dev/hdd3

     Finally, I want to create md3 as a stripe/RAID 0 with

	/dev/md1
	/dev/md2

     and make this `/' with a file system on it.  However, I'm stuck at the
mirroring point.  What do I call the mirrors?  I can't seem to call it another
software RAID, it only wants to make it a full file system and mount it as a
real partition or make it a logical volume.  If I make the mirrors logical
volumes, I can then combine the logical volumes and mount that as `/'.
 However, that doesn't give me the striping/RAID 0.  Any pointers, suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  I've done some Google searching, but having
found anything yet.  I'll do some more.  Thanks for all your suggestions so
far and for any additional help.