SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:08:48 -0600
There's always the possibility that it's a hardware/bios issue. Some
hardware doesn't maintain it's PnP database correctly and or it gets
corrupted and reset (perhaps by a power outage etc...)...

You may notice that AMI/Award/Phoenix bios's tend to treat IRQ layouts and
PnP a bit differently.

I've seen this behavior before as well, but only with RH9 and lower, and
older hardware. I seem to remember Award bios's giving me the most trouble
in this respect. However, very old AMI bios's had severe PnP issues with
linux. When your video card irq jumps around, you REALLY know you have a
buggy bios!

Just a thought.. maybe a bios update might alleviate some of this. Also,
some boards allow you to manually assign irq's to the various PCI ports.
This can also help.

Michael Joy
HEP - University of Mississippi