SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:45:26 -0700
On 10/25/2011 08:30 AM, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Oct 25, 2011, at 17:18 , Scott Williams wrote:
>
>> I have been searching for a hardware compatibility list for scientific
>> linux, specifically for motherboards (which I have had a problem with
>> in the past). I have a hardware supplier that has limited stock, so I
>> am not free to choose from an extensive list and would like to be able
>> to check particular motherboards for compatibility. Initial searches
>> have not proved successful. Does such a list exist?
>
> have a look at https://hardware.redhat.com/ . Hardware certified for this distribution will "very likely" work with the corresponding SL release...
>
> Regards,
> 	Stephan

Two points:

Much of the certification is for RH 5 and earlier; presumably, if the
hardware drivers exist on RHEL N-M, these also exist on RHEL N .

I was looking for two systems upon which I know EL works -- HP 8530p and
Lenovo G570 (only EL 6.1 and presumably later releases).  Neither is listed.

Another option (that I did with success):  get the latest SL stand alone
bootable image (as EUFI is not yet on the hardware and that probably
will prevent the installation or booting of SL) -- currently:

ftp://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/livecd/61/

and then choose i386 for a 32 bit version or x86_64 for a 64 bit version
-- such as:

SL-61-i386-2011-07-27-LiveDVD.iso

burn the image to a DVD, boot the target system from this DVD, and check
if everything works.  Assuming that there is no special hardware (e.g.,
special external control interfaces or special mass storage hardware),
test the 802.3 NIC, the 802.11 WNIC (if present, typically on a laptop),
the video card (did Xwindows work?), the sound card, USB and IEEE 1394
(firewire) if present.  If you need the integrated webcam, if present,
then go through the procedures to activate the webcam and display the
stream to the screen. If you need 802.16 (WiMAX) or Bluetooth, if
present (typically, on a laptop), check these as well.

If everything works, you probably have a compatible system (no
proprietary hardware with MS only supplied drivers).  If not, and you
really want the unit, start hunting on the web and this list to discover
if a Linux driver exists for the hardware, and if the driver has been
ported to SL .

Yasha Karant