SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:16:39 -0400
Hi, All.  I recently ran into the following under "Limitations
specific to S.L. 4.8."  I am considering how to proceed with a few
SL4.5 systems that are using quotas on ext3 file systems, and haven't
yet found much more about this problem.  Any more details or advice
would be greatly appreciated.

---
Quota on EXT3 file systems
Scientific Linux discourages the use of quota on EXT3 file systems.
This is because in some cases, doing so can cause a deadlock.
Testing has revealed that kjournald can sometimes block some EXT3-
specific callouts that are used when quota is running. As such,
Scientific Linux does not plan to fix this issue in Scientific Linux
4, as the modifications required would be too invasive.
Note that this issue is not present in Scientific Linux 5.

---

Many thanks,
Devin

------
Devin Bougie
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics
Cornell University