SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:08:26 -0600
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>>> There's a similar issue with cpuspeed. The new conflict doesn't work
>>> because they missed that cpuspeed has epoch=1, but things may still break
>>> if that isn't updated along with the kernel. It probably only affects AMD
>>> CPUs only.
>> So, the question is.  Do we put cpuspeed into the security errata area, or
>> just leave it at SL 5.3?
>>
>> From what I read, these AMD CPU's weren't really getting their cpu speed
>> changed anyway because it was broken before and not really turned on.  When
>> they turned it on, they then found bugs.
>> The problem is, which fixes the turning it on, and which fixes the new bugs.
>> Since cpuspeed isn't excluded, I'm a bit nervous to put it out into the
>> security area.
>
> Well, I think we're all a bit nervous about that whole new kernel. Are you
> serious about pushing it out this week already? Any insights how serious
> the security issue with the previous kernel actually is?

No, I'm not too serious about pushing it out this week.  There always seems to
be a problem and a new kernel usually comes out fairly quickly.
But I don't want to be scrambling to get that kernel out quick if there is a
major security problem.

>>> Any ETA for 5.3? ;-)
>>>
>> Everything compiled very nicely.  My hat's off to RedHat for that.
>
> Great news.
>
>> I tried to get the Alpha out yesterday, but the installer isn't cooperating.
>> For the Alpha, we usually don't do anything with the installer and everything
>> works.  but this time it's giving us some grief.  I think it's a combination
>> of yum, python, and rpm all being changed.
>> Connie is still on vacation, and she's really the installer expert.  I'm
>> going to poke and prod around and hopefully get something working, but if
>> not, we won't be able to get the alpha out until next week.
>
> Unless it's too much hassle, it would still be good to have the RPMs and
> yum repodata in 5rolling. Even without the installer, we could still test
> updates from 5.2, which are more critical than new installations anyway.

If I haven't figured out the problem by tomorrow, that is probably what I'll do.

>> Oh, I also put the e4fsprogs in the testing area with the kernel.  I figured
>> if we were going to have ext4 in the kernel, we might as well have the
>> programs that go with it.
>
> Thanks. I'm really curious how it compares to XFS.
>
> - Stephan

I'm currently setting up a machine right now to do a very informal test.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group